Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Oregonian Historical Archive

I normally don't promote a database that is not owned by WCCLS member libraries, but because so many Washington County residents also own a library card from the Multnomah County Library, I wanted to let patrons know about this resource if they were not aware of it. 

I received a phone call from one of our patrons who requested information regarding an Odus Bales, the founder of Bales Thriftway in Cedar Mill.  Apparently Mr. Bales was involved in a robbery/shooting  in the 1980's and my patron needed information regarding the incident.  The Oregonian database owned by WCCLS doesn't go back far enough, so I whipped out my MCL card and started searching the Oregonian Historical Archive on the MCL website.   This database contains full text and full-image of every page of the Oregonian from 1861 to 1987, cover to cover, in downloadable PDF format.  Within just a few minutes, I had found several articles regarding the incident and was able to send the information to my patron.

My point on all of this is that back in my library school days (I hate to admit in the 1970's) we were always taught to try to get the needed information to our patrons.  If we didn't have the resource locally, then to refer the person to an appropriate agency or organization or to use the many resources that we had available to us, including the resources of other library systems from which a valid library card is obtained. I've always tried to follow that  principle, and as a result, I think that I have promoted library resources in general and have given patrons good service.

No comments:

Post a Comment